• Home
  • formula-1
  • Pascal Wehrlein: Are four million enough for Formula 1?

Pascal Wehrlein: Are four million enough for Formula 1?

Pascal Wehrlein wants to go to Manor
Subscriptions & booklets

A On the fringes of the DMSB gala in Wiesbaden, where Mercedes driver Pascal Wehrlein was honored as the youngest DTM winner of all time on Thursday (January 14th, 2016), the 21-year-old revealed 'that either in this one or in the next at the latest Week will be finally decided '. For Wehrlein personally, Formula 1 still has priority, also in view of the fact that it would only be used in the Manor team.

The British team that finished tenth and last in the 2015 constructors' championship with no points , recently secured the services of former Ferrari chief designer Nikolas Tombazis. The 47-year-old Greek believes he can lead the Manor team out of the shadows with his experience and in the new role as chief aerodynamicist. Tombazis is not the only new addition to the backbenchers. John McQuilliam (as technical director) and ex-McLaren sports director Dave Ryan (as race director) are supposed to compensate for the departures of the two long-term bosses John Booth and Graeme Lowdon.

Wolff von Wehrlein convinces

Wehrlein would also benefit from Mercedes-Benz hybrid power, as his employer is known to be equipping Team Manor with new engines from 2016 after signing a multi-year supply agreement. There is only one catch: the love of money! Allegedly, the 4 million euros that Mercedes wants to pay for the Wehrlein cockpit are far too little for the British (who rely on paid drivers). They ask for more than double.

That is why last year's drivers Alex Rossi (USA) and Will Stevens (GB) still have good cards. Above all, Rossi is said to have a larger sponsorship package (up to $ 15 million). Wehrlein and Mercedes have a hard time of course against such 'arguments'.

Regardless of this, Wehrlein has a great sponsor, especially in Mercedes motorsport boss Toto Wolff. After more than 100 hours in the simulator, the Austrian is firmly convinced of the skills of the Worndorfer.

Wolff has already emphasized several times that Mercedes F1 replacement driver Wehrlein is already on a par with world champion Lewis Hamilton and runner-up Nico Rosberg. Wehrlein also feels right at home in Formula 1. Most recently, he was allowed to test in Abu Dhabi. After the season finale. With 107 laps he wasn't the fastest (it was just a tire test), but the Mercedes Junior was the hardest one.

The next day, Wehrlein was also in the GP2 car - in the racing team of the new one Teams Prema, which will start in 2016 instead of Lazarus. Although Wehrlein was subsequently engaged in the anteroom of theFormula 1 did not want to rule out, insiders describe the chances of seeing him there as very low. To date, Mercedes has not shown any great interest in placing one of their youngsters in GP2. In addition, the top teams ART (in a relationship with Honda) and Dams (Red Bull) are already occupied.

Plan B - title defense in the DTM?

If Formula 1 - say Manor - does not work out, Wehrlein says he can certainly imagine another season in the DTM. 'If Formula 1 doesn't work out, it would be a huge challenge for me to defend the DTM title with the HWA team. I know how difficult that would be,' says Wehrlein, hitting the nail on the head the head. Of the 20 champions in DTM history since 1984, only two drivers have achieved this feat in the following year: record champion Bernd Schneider (Mercedes /2001) and Timo Scheider (Audi /2009).

0 Comments

Leave a reply

Name *