N ormally, the teams always give their personnel planning for the following season first known after the summer break. At Sauber they were a little faster this year. The two current regular drivers Felipe Nasr and Marcus Ericsson will also fill 2016. The traditional racing team officially announced this on Thursday (23.7.2015).
Ericsson and Nasr give Sauber a boost for 2016
'The early date of this agreement shows that the drivers and the team are convinced that we are on the right track. We have full confidence in the talents and abilities of Marcus and Felipe. They show solid performance, gain experience and learn quickly, 'said Monisha Kaltenborn, explaining the step.
The fact that the personal sponsors of the two pilots also played a decisive role in the contract extension is, as usual, politely concealed in such cases. Instead, the team boss prefers to praise the athletic qualities of her employees.
'Both drivers give us a lot of pleasure and ensure a positive boost in the team. Despite their young age, they work very professionally - not only on the track, but also apart. Marcus and Felipe are also very committed to the development of next year's Sauber C35 ', says Kaltenborn.
Continuity at Sauber
The pilots, too, were understandably happy about the planning security. Marcus Ericsson: 'I feel at home in the traditional Swiss team, so far I've had some wonderful moments. I had a good start at the start of the season - with my first Formula 1 points in Melbourne. I'm getting to know the team members better and better I also feel their appreciation for me. Belonging to the Sauber Motorsport family is an honor for me. '
Rookie Felipe Nasr also commented positively on his employer:' For me, the extension of the contract with Sauber is an important step in my career. Already after the first half of the season I was able to gain a lot of experience as a Formula 1 newcomer - both in terms of driving and personal matters. My highlight so far was fifth place at the Australian Grand Prix, mine First ever Formula 1 race. I am now looking forward to the second half of the season with confidence. My goal is to support the team as much as I can, including in development of the newCars. '
The Brazilian was last linked by some experts with Williams, where he was employed as a reserve driver in 2013. Nasr is said to have been on the list of candidates to succeed Valtteri Bottas, who with Ferrari in Now Williams has to look for another replacement, should Bottas actually change camps.