F1 technology feature: Mercedes gives you wings

Piola Animation
F1 technology feature
Subscriptions & booklets

D he rear wing of a Formula 1 car is solely for responsible for around 30 percent of the total output. The underbody (35%) and front wing (25%) together add a further 60 percent to the balance sheet. The rest comes from the body.

Technical focus on the rear wing

But the rear wing does not only play in In terms of contact pressure, the main role on the car, but also in terms of air resistance. With small changes to the tail unit, the engineers can massively intervene in the aerodynamic efficiency of the car.

Over the years, a lot of research has been done on how to increase downforce and reduce aerodynamic drag. We have seen wings that are bent up or down in the middle. McLaren came out in 2014 with a wave profile between the two elements. Most teams have now returned to a conventional form. Sometimes the simplest solutions are the best.

Mercedes variable when it comes to rear wing

This year we saw Mercedes in particular with some interesting experiments. The aerodynamicists from Brackley brought 3 different main variants to the start: high, medium and low downforce. There were also different flaps, gurney edges and monkey seats with which the downforce level could be fine-tuned.

In our exclusive technology video we show what the technicians in terms of rear wing for versions have on the shelf and how they differ optically. In the gallery there is information on the individual technical details in the captions.

0 Comments

Leave a reply

Name *