• Home
  • formula-1
  • Ecclestone threatens to cancel: No German Grand Prix 2015?

Ecclestone threatens to cancel: No German Grand Prix 2015?

Wilhelm
Ecclestone threatens to cancel
Subscriptions & booklets

D he world champion car comes from a German manufacturer that has a German driver fought for the title until the season finale and another German driver switched to Ferrari in winter. The Formula 1 euphoria in the country should actually be bursting at the seams. And yet, for the first time after 1960, Germany could not host a premier class race again.

German race tracks don't have the money

The cancellation of the Grand Prix race is still just one option that Bernie Ecclestone considered in an interview with the English TV broadcaster Sky F1. The situation is tricky, however: Formula 1 should actually be racing at the Nürburgring again this year.

In the course of the multiple changes of ownership in recent months, the responsibilities and the financial situation are still unclear in many areas. Although Ecclestone only announced last week that the German GP 2015 should therefore be held in Hockenheim, the F1 Zampano met again with representatives from the Eifel in London on Wednesday (January 15, 2015).

Running parallel but also discussions with the organizer in Hockenheim. A solution is apparently not in sight. When asked whether the GP Germany is a fixture on the calendar, Ecclestone replied: 'Not really'. The F1 boss says he is doing everything he can to save the race. 'If it doesn't work out in the end, it's because none of the tracks can afford it.'

Formula 1 crisis in Germany

Hockenheim does have a contract to host the race , which only applies to the years 2016 and 2018. If the Grand Prix is ​​to take place annually in the Motodrom, Ecclestone would have to provide the organizers with financial support. In 2014 there were only 52,000 spectators on the route, which led to a minus in the balance sheet. In the absence of public support or private sponsors, the Hockenheimring cannot afford regular losses.

But why are there such problems in Germany of all places? 'To be honest, I have no idea,' said Ecclestone. 'It surprises me too. Maybe it's because people were very used to seeing Michael (Schumacher) and supporting him and now they miss him because he doesn't race anymore.'

Negotiations in London

How acute the grandPrix ​​is ​​really at risk is difficult to assess. The fact that Ecclestone threatens to cancel in order to build up pressure is not a new tactic of the shrewd British. Usually there is always a solution at the last second. The negotiating partners are said to have met for talks in London on Wednesday (January 21, 2015).

A decision about the event is urgent. As Hockenheimring managing director Georg Seiler explained to auto motor und sport just last week, a 'timely decision is now desirable and necessary.'

0 Comments

Leave a reply

Name *