M cLaren Mercedes driver Lewis Hamilton According to their own assessment, 'only a miracle' helps. Before the 19th race of the season, Ferrari driver Alonso leads with 246 points ahead of Webber (238). Vettel (231) follows in third place ahead of Hamilton (222).
Here is the starting position of the quartet:
Vettel becomes world champion if
- he wins and Alonso finishes fifth at most. The Spaniard and Webber (in the case of second place) could then draw level with the German in terms of points (all 256), but because of his advantage in a direct comparison of the first, second, third, fourth, etc. places, Vettel would be champion;
- he is second, Alonso is ninth at most and Webber is fifth at most.
Alonso is world champion if
- he wins or is second;
- he is third becomes and Webber does not win;
- he is fourth and Webber does not win;
- he is fifth and neither Webber nor Vettel win;
- he is sixth and Webber is no more than third and Vettel is no more than second ;
- in the case of poorer placements he always gets at least eight points more than Webber and 15 points more than Vettel.
Webber becomes world champion if
- he wins and Alonso ends up in third place at most;
- he finishes second, Alonso finishes sixth at most and Vettel does not win;
- he finishes third and Alonso crosses the finish line no more than seventh and Vettel no more than second;
- he is fourth and Alonso is a maximum of ninth and Vettel is a maximum of second;
- he is fifth and Alonso is no more than tenth r and Vettel is at most third.
Hamilton becomes world champion if
- he wins, Alonso does not get any points, Webber is no more than sixth and Vettel is no more than third.