Sachsen Classic 2015: IAV in Saxony

IAV
Saxony Classic 2015
Subscriptions & booklets

S achsen is automotive history terrain. The Central Research Institute of Auto Union was located in Chemnitz as early as the 1930s - the company that emerged in 1932 from the merger of Audi, Horch, Wanderer and DKW. A significant part of German automotive development has taken place here since 1936 - even beyond the end of the war and reunification.

Immediately after the war, the automotive engineering office was housed in Chemnitz an der Kauffahrtei, and a few more in the years to come should be given other names. From 1963 it operated under the distinctive name ‚ÄúScientific and Technical Center for Automobile Construction‚ÄĚ, where work was carried out on Wankel engines, among other things. In 1984 it was organizationally assigned to the Barkas works.

Motors from Saxony

In the mid-1980s, the Saxon automotive experts started a very special and momentous project in Chemnitz: They set about locating a VW engine for the GDR models. It was supposed to power the Wartburgs and Trabants. However, the turnaround ruined these plans - from then on, vehicles from the west were in demand in East Germany. After all, the Chemnitz engine factory exported many products to the old Federal Republic of Germany until the fall of the Berlin Wall: Numerous Golfs and Polos from this time were on the road with engines from Saxony.

But the West was not only interested in engines - the know- How from Saxony was in demand at the beginning of the 1990s: Carl Hahn, at the time CEO of VW and son of an Auto Union co-founder, brought VW to Saxony and thus initiated the continuation of automotive development at the Kauffahrtei site.

At this point, IAV picked up on the automotive tradition in Chemnitz: The 69 Barkas employees became the first employees of the newly founded IAV Motor GmbH in 1990. One can also say: They formed the nucleus of today's location. And they have significantly expanded the IAV portfolio: IAV previously concentrated primarily on engine management, but now it has concentrated on vehicle, engine and mechanical engineering expertise. As a result, IAV Chemnitz was also directly integrated into Volkswagen's engine development - the start of an intensive collaboration that continues to this day.

Another line of continuity is linked to the name Audi: founded in Zwickau in 1910, the company had to follow suit new to the war in Bavariaput up. Nevertheless, Audi has always remained aware of its Saxon roots and is committed to automotive tradition, has restored Auto Union racing cars and generously sponsored the Horch Museum in Zwickau - the premium manufacturer has also carried out many pioneering engine projects in Chemnitz together with IAV.

Future technology from Saxony

IAV as a global development partner of the automotive industry today will continue to use innovative technologies from the old location in Chemnitz and the newly opened one in Stollberg: The competencies are broad; in addition to classic developments of efficient combustion engines, hybrid and electric drive trains and advanced mechatronic systems are developed. The development and testing of autonomous driving is currently of particular importance.

The enthusiasm of IAV employees is also reflected in the commitment to regional events such as the Sachsen Classic. IAV is participating with 3 teams enthusiastic about classic cars and is looking forward to welcoming all participants to the new company premises as part of a valuation test.

0 Comments

Leave a reply

Name *